Sunday, January 24, 2010

Brice Laughlin (3-Star DL) UK Commit

I caught up with Brice Laughlin (Summerville, SC) today regarding his recruitment. Brice told me that Joker Phillips and David Turner are coming today for an in-home visit. Joker Phillips handled Brice's recruitment and Brice really likes Joker.

I asked Brice if other schools were still trying to get involved and he told me Baylor tried to offer last week, but he turned them down. I also asked Brice about the differences between UK and Maryland (who he was once committed to) and he told me that UK was just an overall better fit for him. He told me that he loved everything about UK, from game time to the coaches all the way to the fans who are very "loyal".

Brice plans to enroll at UK this summer to get started. I asked Brice about his first year expectations and he told me that wants to get in a routine and take care of his grades. He hopes to get a shot at strong side defensive end, but figures the coaches will play him where they need him. Brice is listed at 6'3" 270lbs and has a max of 360 on bench and 450 on squat.

After speaking to Brice, you can tell the kid has his head on straight and will be a great addition at UK. Brice is qualified by the NCAA, all he has to do is graduate in May and then get ready for college.

4 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that he has only played in 15 games as a DL, yet he is rated as a 4*

    I hope he starts school in June to get a jump on the rest of the guys coming in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brice plays at a big school in SC against good competition. The chances of him starting or being a back up at UK his first year are slim. If a guy isn't going to contribute, then I prefer to redshirt him.

    If Brice redshirts, then he will be bigger, faster, stronger and understand the defense better as a redshirt freshman.

    I read the same thing and didn't even ask him about # of games. The kid is going to be good. Watch his video that we posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brice missed most of his jr. year due to a hand injury at week 4 in the season that required immediate surgical repair. He was only able to get medical clearance to play in the last game of the season for Summerville which was round one of the playoffs. He had previously played MLB, FB and OL but I think he has found his true calling on the DL. Anyway I can't wait to see what the staff does with him his FR year...RS or no RS? I guess we know soon enough...later!

    ReplyDelete