Thursday, April 1, 2010

Raymond Sanders Interview

Last night I had the opportunity to interview Raymond Sanders who signed with UK in the 2010 recruiting class. UK fans should be very excited about watching Sanders contribute over the next four years. He plans to room with current teammate Ronnie Shields and arrive at UK on June 5th. He is also planning to major in computer engineering.

We chatted about his recruitment and he told me he finished with 28 scholarship offers from schools. He said, “UK was the best fit for me. They do a good job of developing athletes into men. Once I made up my mind and committed, I wasn’t going to change.”

I asked Raymond about his role and he said, “I want to get on the field and help my team, whether it’s returning a punt or going down field on a kick-off.” He told me he is up to 188 lbs and running faster than ever. His fastest forty-yard dash time is 4.35 and feels he can improve. He said the staff wants him to get around 195 lbs to handle the pounding of the SEC.

When asked about his overall game he said, “I consider myself a versatile back. I can catch the ball out of the backfield.” He compares his game to Dion Lewis (Pitt) and LaMichael James (Oregon). He likes to make himself small and give the defense a hard target to hit.

I asked Raymond about his teammates Jabari Johnson and Ronnie Shields’ game and he said, “Ronnie is a big target who can go and get the ball. He can come in and block, split out and run good routes. Jabari is a good linebacker who can go and get it. Both are great athletes and I’m glad I get to play with them another four years.” He also confirmed he is tugging some of the current underclassmen at Stephenson High School to consider the Cats.

Finally I asked Raymond what he wanted fans to know about him and he said, “Just know that every play and every minute I’m giving 110% and glad to be a Wildcat. I want to have fun and make a difference in the SEC.”

5 comments:

  1. I knew he was quick, but 4.35 is AWESOME FAST! This guy could be a real steal for the Cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shifty like Cobb, but fast like Locke! That is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would give Cobb a break on punt ret duties and could you see them both used in the Wild Cobb
    with Cobb handing the ball off with Sanders lining up in a slot position. We could catch a defense by surprise with his speed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see Sanders, Locke, Cobb and maybe Priester on the field at the same time! Cobb would be the slowest of them!!!! Operation Win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think raymond sanders is the best Running back UK has so far

    ReplyDelete